welcome. please enter.

2.1.06

2006!!

i know, nice title. well, it is 2006. happy new year to y'all.

in fact. happy new year to all y'all who are actually cerebrating new years day with time away from responsibility. some of us have already re-entered that realm. at 9:30 this morning, we at the columbia medical center began again. notwithstanding, the rest of the columbia community doesn't begin til jan 17, or that most other schools don't start til next monday, or the ridiculous fact that the rest of the country including banks and postal services are enjoying this national holiday. so forgive my complaints.



forgive my complaining. but at the end of the day, don't we all really deep down love to complain. there is an element in modern society or maybe just our generation that likes to compare adversity. as if we validate ourselves by bragging about how hard we have it. recently, i've been reading "notes from the underground" an obscure piece by dostoyevsky. he furthers this point by inserting that "it's the moaning that expresses the pleasure of the sufferer, for if he didn't enjoy it, he wouldn't moan. . . moans that express all the humiliating pointlessness of the pain." and people like to admit that there is pain and there is no enemy, while concurrently bemoaning their complaints.



either way. we started school today. welcome back, here's five lectures that you will need to know. enjoy. i guess the japanese tradition of the new year will find conceptualization this year. because i feel that my 2006 will strictly mirror the manner in which it began.

9 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

Happy New Year to you Petey and to Dostoyevsky.

2/1/06 3:38 PM

 
Blogger petey said...

paul-
its good to see you're back on the blogger circuit again. welcome back and happy new year to you too.

maybe this year i'll get off the bandwagon...

2/1/06 5:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dostoyevsky couldn't be more wrong on this one. Just this morning I woke up and let out a moan at the fact that I had to spend another 5 mind-numbing hours at Abercrombie, and it's definitely not because I enjoy it. For those who think I just want to have something to complain about, I issue this challenge. Spend one week working at Abercrombie and let me know how you feel when it's over.

PS Now wouldn't be a good time to tell you I don't have to go back to school until Jan. 26.

2/1/06 6:53 PM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

kia: its good to see you out. although, i have to say that i have no sympathy for anyone who works at abercrombie, as they are most likely doing it for the discount on the clothes. i'm sorry you hate your job, but i would gladly trade you. in fact, lets compare and see who has it worse...wait a second...petey, you've got it right! you and dosoyevsky know human nature so well.

paul: good to see you out again. stay tuned for my newest addition to my weblog.

2/1/06 7:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found my self one the 10 out of 200 people in my office who choose to work today. All my roomates were home fast asleep. But rather than complain, i'll focus on the positive, it was only a 4 hour work day.

2/1/06 8:35 PM

 
Blogger petey said...

stevey,

you can't invalidate someone's complaint by their employer. yeah, its abercrombie and we mock those people. but what if it were walmart. of course they would deserve our sympathies. that's the nature of the beast. the fact kia does work for abercrombie almosts gives her more street cred on the complaint ticket.

3/1/06 7:12 AM

 
Blogger nikki said...

Happy New Year Frandsens... I appreciate the effort to validate complaining although I did not have to work yesterday, so I have no reason to complain on that end. However, whenever I used to complain, my brother would tell me to shut up unless I was going to do something about it, but I always felt like that took the fun out of complaining.

Kia, you can complain about working at Abercrombie all you want. Many moons ago I worked at the GAP over Christmas break and wanted to kill my own self every night.

In fact, I would like to complain right now about the poor editing Petey... way too many typos to be acceptable.

Complain on.

3/1/06 1:00 PM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

kia and peter: i stand by my comments. you don't like abercrombie or walmart, then stop. i think i need to take my own advice.

8/1/06 3:22 PM

 
Blogger petey said...

jill_
welcome home. glad to have your contradictions back on the shake-down. wouldn't be the same without it.

12/1/06 6:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home