welcome. please enter.

3.12.05

cold as h-e-double-hockey-sticks

so you gotta love new york. but let's be freakin honest for a second. how do people really live like this? it is uncomprehensibly freezing cold in this place. now, for the title to this post. i don't throw it out there in any irreverence. but more as a location. like cold as snow. or cold as utah. cause, i really believe that hell is cold. and if y'all could walk down the nyc streets when the wind whips through the building tunnels, you would agree. hell is cold. i think i could take the burning. but the freezing is just silly. which is odd, because, i'm the type of person that would rather be a little colder than a little warmer. so on the moderates i prefer chill/cool than warm/damp/sweaty. but on the extremes, i could sit in an osen or a sauna for hours on end. but i feel like i wanna give my life and step in front of the m3 bus rather than walk all the way to the subway entrance.



and maybe i'm just a wuss. but still. i wonder though, now, that i've opened up some ideas. are there other preferences that get switched by degrees? i mean, in moderation one side of the aisle is better, but in excess, you attitudes switch. for example, take dinner with women. going to dinner with a girl, or even two girls could be really pleasant. but, come on, you know no dude in his right mind wants to go to dinner with a whole table full of girls. (especially your girl friend and all her girls friends...) i'd rather take on the new york wind chill factor in a t-shirt. so yeah. not really sure about the reverse-factor on the moderate-extreme spectrum. interesting nonetheless.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pete, My Young Nephew:

An educated man does not revert to any word which starts with 'F' unless it is Frandsen.

Uncle Tracy

3/12/05 11:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could give you a little sympathy, but I'm looking for some myself. It's a lovely 13 degrees here, wind chill makes 6 degrees, and that's up from 4 degrees yesterday. Brrrr... Yesterday I took the kids to the library and I couldn't get the stroller out of the back of the van because it was frozen shut!

Anyway, now I've forgotten what your thought provoking question was because I'm having a brain freeze! (no pun intended) So my question to you is would you rather have a cup of hot chocolate on a 4 degree day or a Zuka juice (or whatever it's called these days) on a 125 degree day?

4/12/05 12:14 AM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

dad: what about the following words:

Faith
FuKuIn (japanese for gospel)
Forever
Fearless
Fine
Forsake
Forever-marriage
Fate
Fishnet stockings
Follow (the prophet)
Freedom
Free-agency
Frosty
Fanatic
Frenetic
Fantasy

well, pops, can educated men use any of the above words that start with 'F'?

4/12/05 2:10 AM

 
Blogger petey said...

some f-words for your son. so fittingly fresh in further finding and filling f-words for his fabulous father. flawless.

4/12/05 3:02 AM

 
Blogger petey said...

jill-
zuka juice for life. only those who still call it that (you and mean and that's about it) really aprreciate its grandeur. and right now, my mind cannot even conceptualize 125 degrees. and yet, i know all too well (almost on the level of dependancy) how hot chocolate can warm me. so i choose the latter.

4/12/05 3:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all wimps. Jill was born in the windy city of Chicago when it was 17 below - wind chill factor. You don't understand cold unless you've stood on the "L" platform in January.

Best all around comment on this topic goes to Stephen. Your list of words beginning with "f" was Fabulous!

4/12/05 5:42 PM

 
Blogger lafe said...

its not cold in h-e-double
hocky sticks.
its hot

4/12/05 5:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shosh, oh, believe me! I understand cold. We're in a "warm spell" right now. But I've stood out on the plains with the wind blowing me over and I couldn't stop the tears from coming because it was sooo cold. Don't forget, mother dearest, that this is Iowa. The most treacherous part of the pioneer trek was through Iowa. So although the L is probably right up there, don't discount our faithful pioneers and the weather they had to brave here in Hawkeye country!

But that said, a Zuka sure sounds good right now. Or should I say "fantastic!"

4/12/05 8:31 PM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

yes, jill, you should say fantastic. that sounds educated.

4/12/05 10:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally finshed, frandsen f(r)iends?

Uncle F

4/12/05 11:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually brought this concept (Hell being cold) into my conversation today with Peter, unbeknownst his latest coments... He told me to check this out- so Peter, as you know, I agree! Maybe its the fact that my roots come from the warm, dry, beautiful state of Arizona, but I can not quite get myself acclimated to cold weather! The ultimate punishment and excruciating tourment would be an eternal endless day of cold weather! But Jill, cold weather is one thing- cold drinks are another! Although both can chill you to the very core, there is something so satisfying about a delicious zuka juice or thick milkshake that can't be replaced by any other treat! I would even opt a zuka juice on a 4 degree weather day over a cup of hot cholcolate... maybe I'm crazy, but mmmmmmm- Need I say more?!

5/12/05 2:07 AM

 
Blogger nikki said...

I agree that hell is cold and NYC is cold, but I would not say that NYC is hell. Peter... unfortunately, it hasn't even begun to get cold, so you better find a way to keep warm... if you need suggestions, I can probably give you some. I enjoyed the alliterative comment and Stephen's list of f-words. I like the Frandsen men...

5/12/05 2:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it might be cold in NYC, but at least you don't have to commute on snowy roads, it took me 2.5 hours to come home from work tonight. U of U research park to herriman.

i'm looking for a little sympathy.

6/12/05 10:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

words like freezing, frigid, frosty, fluffy flakes (of snow) come to mind

6/12/05 10:05 PM

 
Blogger petey said...

nick-
that for sure is one thing i don't miss. traffic jams. icy roads. i hate getting stuck on that stretch on 215 from old mill to i15. its always so shady in that corridor.

so yes, you can have my sympathy. (in your heater car with heater seats, heated mirrors, and heater steering wheel...)

no for real, you deservce some sympathy.

7/12/05 9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home